Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving

"Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever." Psalm 106:1

Now that is something to be thankful for! How awesome is it that God's love endures forever!?! It is hard to wrap your mind around what exactly forever means! We have a hard time just enduring things for 30 minutes, and hour, or even a day. As I reflect on things to be thankful for this holiday season, I am thankful for the typical things, of course. Most of all I am thankful for God's love and grace in my life and the opportunity that He has given me to experience it this year in a real way like never before! What have you been thankful for this year?

Let me share quickly what we did on Thanksgiving Day. You already saw the post where we ran the 5K that morning. Here is what we did for our meal. We had 10 people for dinner. I decided to pull out dishes my mom gave me. She had them in her hope chest since she was a teenager and then had them on her hutch in her dining room over the years when I was growing up. Our family ate on them maybe 2 times (That might be stretching it. . . ) For dinner we had a ham, (no turkey) an attempt at cornbread dressing, broccoli with cheese, homemade mac and cheese, oriental salad, layered salad, rolls, pecan pies, and banana pudding. Some recipes were new and will never be used again and others were favorites that have been used year after year.

Here is a close up of a dinner plate in the set of dishes that were my Mom's. When I was growing up I thought these were ugly! As I have gotten older and started decorating my home, I have fallen in love with antique transfer ware, especially brown! So, now I have this set from my mom that I have used to decorate with in my kitchen and now I have actually served a meal on them! I totally appreciate them now and find them beautiful!

1 comment:

Girly Stuff said...

I love them too. Funny what age will do to your tastes.

Dinner sounds like it was yummy! I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving!

 
Designed by Lena